Changing instructional practice is at the heart of improving
learning outcomes for underachieving students; describe your experience with
shifting a culture of practice. As a teacher leader, building or district leader, where do you begin - how do you know you're making progress, and how do you build trust to collaboratively progress toward the goal(s)?
I agree that changing instructional practice is the first step to improving outcomes for underachieving students. I have participated in this practice first hand when addressing the reduction of restraints within our district. In looking at data over a three year span I saw a continued climb in restraints. I decided I need to go back to the basics and have staff start by building a rapport with the most difficult students. We looked for strengths with these students. Over time staff was able to make connections with their students and there was a noticeable decrease in the difficult behaviors.
ReplyDeleteI think the same philosophy holds true in regards to academics. Sometimes we have to go back and build a more solid foundation in order to add "weight" to the existing structure. Research also shows that if you can have 80% staff buy in to the "cause" per se then you will make changes. The progress is then monitored through not only formal and summative assessment but through the rapport the staff is able to build with the student. Over time trust will be established not only with students but also with the staff.
I think as a classroom teacher in a small school, I have learned to try things out in my own class before bringing it to others. Many of the people I work with have been there for years and are set in their ways. However, if I try things in my room and get positive results I feel as though the other teachers are more likely to listen to my ideas.
ReplyDeleteThe only example I can think of is this past year when we got new geography books. The other seventh grade teacher had been using the same worksheets, power points, and tests for the last ten years. However, with new textbooks, most of his material was no longer needed. This was my chance to bring new ideas and ways of teaching the material. My colleague was very receptive to new lessons and units. He still uses the book most days whereas I do not, but I think he has come a long way in bringing his teachings more up to date.
I believe that in order to change instructional practice within a building it is crucial that the principal acts as an instructional leader. I think too often teachers feel that new “requirements” are sent down the pipe from the top down and often without any guidance or support. When the principal decides to work WITH teachers on new initiatives and provide the support and guidance necessary to successfully implement a new initiative then the chances of student outcomes improving greatly increase. When principals provide the guidance and support teachers need when working toward improving student outcomes, trust is established and further advances can be made.
ReplyDeleteChange is always hard and often times shifting of cultural practice in buildings where that practices has been established for many, many years is very difficult. As a new principal it would be important to take on this challenge very delicately. Some teachers may see the need for a cultural shift within the building where others may feel very comfortable with current practices. In order to gain trust from a new staff it would be important to start small and include any staff who wants to be a part of the cultural shift in the process. Again, I think it is very important to not make the shift a “top down” movement but a shared process. Once the cultural shift is started and the principal begins to have staff involvement, progress should be observed.
I agree with Carrie and with the text in that when you as a principal would like to enact change, you as the leader need to be a learner as well. In my own building I have brought in a few new practices in the area of teaching mathematics. Our building historically has been very textbook driven as opposed to teaching students to conceptually understand the math content. Also, our building had average data to show that students were learning mathematics, however the area of number sense was much lower than any other area in mathematics. In order to shift the culture of their mathematics teaching I had to figure out why they were teaching the way they were. I determined that many of them were not comfortable teaching math and leaned on the book to tell them what to do because they didn’t know any different. So I started with some professional development in the area of problem solving and looking at different instructional ways math could be taught other than in the traditional sense and out of a textbook. From there I researched what resources would match our needs as a building and found a great resource. I read the book Number talks and tried in in my classroom. As I saw results I sought out other teachers in the building that would be willing to try it in their classes as well. As a small group of us found results that were working I slowly had us spread to word to those that now might try something new. Over the last year I have seen an increase in teachers focusing on conceptual understanding of math. I see this as an example that the culture shift is happening.
ReplyDeleteThis year we began using the Ti-Nspire CX. The Nspire is a color screen graphing calculator with a touch pad much like a laptop computer. The are the most interactive graphing calculators I have ever encountered. It is clear from their capabilities that they are a major shift from using calculators for doing math to using calculators do learn math. Many teachers in my building are reluctant to use the calculators in their classroom citing classroom management problems, increased planning time, and the worst, "our kids can't do that!"
ReplyDeleteI have tried to help increase the use of this valuable technology by making my classroom available to other teachers to observe, inviting teachers to collaborate on lessons, and to model lessons with their students. I think that my willingness to take this risk with them has created some level of trust and buy in. I think that I am making progress because teachers are starting to use me and each other as a resource which has improved collaboration for the entire department.